Featured

T R Raghunandan experience with Arvind Kejriwal

Recently, T R Raghunandan, former IAS officer met Delhi CM Arvind kejriwal. Mr. Raghunandan was former Joint Secretary – Ministry of Panchayati Raj, GOI and Secretary-Rural Development Karnataka before he took voluntary retirement from the Indian Administrative Service. Mr. Raghunandan is now a public finance expert and an anti-corruption activist. Here is how he described his experience about the meeting with Delhi CM.  

Last Thursday I got a call from a familiar voice. Arvind Kejriwal, the CM of Delhi. He wanted to know whether I could meet him as early as possible.

Would I! What a question to ask!

So on last Saturday, I met Arvind Kejriwal at his home in Delhi and had a two hour discussion on many issues, including the current situation with respect to the IAS officers of Delhi. During that time I also had lunch at his home. Manish Sisodia and Satyendra Jain were also present during the discussion.

I cannot but help saying this, but AK is the coolest politician I have seen. In spite of the relentless, vicious and sustained campaign to malign him, both by enemies and erstwhile friends, he remains an un-pretentious, friendly and open individual. When he looks at you, there is no falsehood in his eyes, no faking of attention. He listens, he speaks, he interrupts if he has to say something suddenly, and he is frank and open. He laughs, even in the face of terrible adversity. One is not intimidated by him at all; he looks and behaves like an old friend.

The first time that I met AK was in 2009, when I was on a sabbatical from the IAS (which ended in voluntary retirement) and AK was in Parivartan. He got my number through a personal contact, called me and visited me in Delhi at my in-law’s home in Mayur Vihar. We discussed public participation in governance in an urban context. We sat around the dining table, sipping tea, as my mother in law served him. Sadly, she did not live to see the day when he became CM of Delhi.

It was funny, but Saturday’s lunch was only the second time that I have met AK – apart from fleeting eye contact in public meetings or a hurried greeting or shake of hands in a crowded place. I hate being pushy in public places, to be seen close to celebrities and be photographed with them, so I nearly always back away, from the crowds of people who want selfies with him.

I spoke freely to him, of our hopes, our fears for him and our work elsewhere. I told him about this group and how much of a strength it is to all of us. I told him about Karnataka; what we were doing and about campaigns here. I could not help making a special mention of Renuka – after all she is my sister. I told him that we wanted him to hang on and perform; because it was the performance of his government in Delhi, that we were grimly pushing as our USP.

He said, of course, he knew that. He wished all of us in this group all the best and said, keep up the good work; I won’t let you down ever.

I had taken a metro from the airport to reach his home, refusing offers of official transport. When I left, he would have nothing of that. He organised a private car – not an official one – I declined initially, but I had more consultations and the car was convenient. He walked down to wish me goodbye.

I am a sceptical Malayali, we fellows don’t acknowledge any leader, generally. But believe me, I have seen a leader. For raw courage in the face of unprecedented adversity, for depth and commitment to good governance, for far reaching strategy, I have not met any politician that can match with him. He might have had his flaws like any one of us, but nobody can match the speed with which he is evolving to overcome them.

For me, there was little confusion about AK right from the very start; that meeting of 8 years back was good to keep me going. Yes, there were moments when I was in doubt, but the meeting of Saturday has renewed that faith. In the terrible sinking situation in which India is, caught up in a morass of communalism, caste and corruption, I cannot see any other politician who has the capability to guide us out of trouble.

Yet, we must realise we cannot leave him to do all that we want, for us. We are all cogs in the wheel. We have a responsibility to our children to not let India slip away. We need skills, we need values, but above all we need courage. And this little man is showing us that.

After returning, I thought for a long time and then sent him a message ‘Could I disclose to our Bangalore team and a Whatsapp group of AAP supporters that I met you and that you told us to keep our chins up and continue our work with renewed vigour? It will be an energiser for all of us‘. His reply was prompt ‘Sure. Most welcome’.

So that’s why I’m saying all this to you, my friends in the cloud.

No comments